Teachers, take part in our virtual programs and activities right from your classroom.
Book a virtual classroom visit
- Waterloo Kids Read program – our popular Grade 4 program has gone virtual! This program requires two "visits". Visit #1 - introduction to the resources at WPL plus learn how to choose great books for fun. Visit #2 – a lively book talk followed by a class vote to determine what book will be gifted to the class
- Book Talks – discover what’s new at the Library; for students in Grades 3 to 8
- Introduction to Library Resources – learn how to use the catalogue, explore our e-resources and discover new collections
- NEW! Storytime programs - great stories and more! Themes available: Library as Community Helper; All About Numbers; We Love Rhyming. For K to Grade 3.
To book a virtual visit, or if you have questions, please contact: Sheila Kretz-Greco, Early Learning and School Liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org
Forest of Reading
Let's Explore the Forest of Reading Online Adventure
Kindergarten to Adult
Starts Wednesday, February 17
Register at READsquared
The Forest of Reading® is Canada's largest recreational reading program with over 270,000 readers taking part every year. Its mission is to instill the love of reading across Canada.
Explore all the nominated titles in your age category/interest level and dive deep into them with activities, videos and challenges. The more missions you complete, the more chances you have to win. Fun to do by yourself, with your family or with your class.
This program is offered jointly by the four library systems of Waterloo Region.
Learn more about the 2021 Silver Birch Fiction and Red Maple Award Nominees with these great book talks from WPL staff. These book talks are designed to get kids excited about reading these titles and to encourage them to vote for their favourite books at the end of March.
Silver Birch Fiction Book Talks
Books in the Silver Birch Fiction category are for ages 8-12 or grades 3-6.
Red Maple Award Book Talks
Books in the Red Maple category are for ages 12-14 or grades 7-8.
personalized reading services at your library
WPL Kids Express Book Bundles
Order a curated package of information and library materials suited to the needs of your class. Our online form allows you to specify based on children’s ages, reading levels and interests. Users also can decide the number of items they would like to order.
Book It! Your Virtual Librarian
Teachers can now complete an online form to schedule a virtual appointment with our Children’s Reference Staff. We can help you discover new resources for your classroom and answer any questions you may have about our teacher services. This is also a great resources to reommend to parents who may need help finding materials and resources for their child while doing online learning.
play anytime programs
Try our Play Anytime activities which you can, well, play anytime! Get active, try a virtual escape room or test yourself with trivia. What about scavenger hunts, geocashes or learning how to make something? New activities added monthly.
Click here to learn more about our Play Anytime programs.
the button project
In this world where wearing a mask has become the norm, we are missing seeing smiles and faces. To help teachers, school staff, daycare and care home staff share their smiles with the people they teach and work with daily, we've launched The Button Project. Taking part is easy and it's free!*
1. Teachers, school staff, daycare and care home staff can email their photos to email@example.com
2. If multiple photos are being sent, please include them together in a ZIP file or via a link to an open folder in a Google Drive
3. Photos should be cropped as a headshot (shoulders up!) and be saved as JPGs or PNGs
4. Pleae include "Photo Buttons" in your email subject line
5. In your email, please include the contact information for the person picking up the buttons and the WPL location at which they would like to pick-up
6. WPL staff will produce one (1) button for each photo sent (multiple photos from an organization can and should be sent in one email)
7. We will contact you when the button(s) is/are ready for pickup
If you have further questions about The Button Project, phone 519-886-1310 ext. 124 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please note that due to demands, we can only accomodate requests from within the Region of Waterloo.
More virtual programs & events
We have lots of fun programs planned for all ages to take part in at home, virtually and via livestream. Discover what is happening at your library by visiting our online events calendar.